How to use a Kegel Exercise Tool
posted: 08/27/2008 12:00 am
Dear Dr. Myrtle,
I see you mention an exercise egg to help me strengthen my vaginal and pelvic floor muscles by doing Kegels. How do I use this tool? What are the advantages to using a tool to do Kegels?
Pelvic floor exercise tools have two main functions. First, they sit on the muscles you’re going to be contracting (your pelvic floor muscles), and when you lift those muscles you can feel the tool "lift" up inside you. This lets you know you’re using the right muscles.
Pelvic floor exercise tools also function as a weight. Because they sit on the muscles you’ll be lifting, it put some extra weight on the muscles so they work harder as they contract. Think about doing leg lifts - they’ll strengthen your muscles if they’re done without weights, but they’ll strengthen your muscles faster if you do them with added weight. The same is true of your pelvic floor muscles.
We sell a couple of tools that work well for Kegel exercises, because they provide biofeedback, letting you know that you're focusing on the correct muscles. The following instructions tell you how you can use either the Stone Exercise Egg or the Energie Exerciser to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.
To begin, lie down on your back, coat your tool with lubricant and insert it into your vagina, until it comfortably slips into place just behind the pubic bone.
- Lift the tool up inside of your vagina with your muscles. It will feel like you’re pulling in and up toward your belly button, not pushing out.
- Add gentle resistance by pulling lightly on the string of the Smart Balls or Egg, or tugging gently on the end of the Energie, while you continue to pull the tool inward and upward.
- Relax your hand resistance.
- Relax your pelvis completely.
That’s one Kegel!
Remember, you haven’t completed a Kegel until you learn to relax the muscles. Intentional relaxation is just as important as the strengthening and flexing part. You will probably want to begin doing these exercises lying down, so you have gravity working with you rather than against you. Once your muscles are stronger, you can try doing the exercises standing up, allowing gravity to add resistance.
At first, do five Kegels in the morning and five at night. Work up to 10 in the morning and 10 at night. Your goal is to do 20 in the morning and 20 at night. When you’re done using your tool, wash it off with soap and water and pat it dry with a clean towel.
If you’re using the Exercise Egg, you’ll notice that it comes with a loop of white dental floss tied to the end. We do this so you’ll have a longer length of string to tug on to add resistance (some women find that the attached string is too short). It’s just plain dental floss, so remember to replace it regularly. When you get really strong, you can put quarters in the little velvet bag that comes with the Egg, and tie the bag to the Egg’s string. This will increase the weight and resistance.
- His penis is too long...I think
- What is the best lubricant to use for vaginal dryness?
- Will anal sex play cause incontinence?
- What’s good for body massage and safe to use as a lubricant?
- Is it okay to have sex in water?
- Same-sex feelings and experimentation